Getting to Boston from China
If you are traveling to New England from China, we have gathered some helpful resources and tips to help you prepare for your trip. First, there are several airlines that fly between Boston (Logan International Airport) and China (Shanghai): Delta, Air Canada, Cathay Pacific, Hainan Airlines and China Eastern are some of the larger airlines. The flight will take about 17 hours and you’ll have one layover. If you’re fortunate (and don’t mind paying more), a direct flight takes a little over 14 hours on Hawaiian Airlines.
Depending on how long you’ll be in New England, we can offer some suggested destinations. We’re assuming that you’ll be flying in to Boston. First, here are some of the sights you should definitely make time for.
Boston Duck Tour
The Boston Duck tour will allow you to drive the streets of Boston with a trained “duck” driver. These vehicles are shaped like a boat because they were made during World War II to drive on streets, but also to float like a boat. You’ll enjoy a view of downtown and a chance to see many of the other sights in Boston.
New England Aquarium
The New England Aquarium is one of the top aquarium’s in the world. It’s also located on the Wharf, so you’ll be able walk around a beautiful part of the city before or after your time in the aquarium. The aquarium is home to a lot of different animals, such as some blue penguins, a leafy sea dragon, large octopus and many other interesting creatures.
Some Other Recommended Destinations
There are so many things to see while you’re in New England. After spending a few days in Boston, you need to decide on whether you’ll be traveling north to Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire or whether you plan on going south to Rhode Island or Connecticut. Personally, I’d recommend that you travel north. If you’re traveling in the summer, you should spend some time driving to the coast. Some well-known coastal destinations include Portsmouth, NH; Kennebunkport, ME; Rockport, ME; Portland, ME; Ogunquit, ME; Camden, ME and Bar Harbor, ME. Of these, I would suggest you definitely don’t miss Rockport, Portland and Bar Harbor. If you drive as far north as Bar Harbor, definitely take a few days to enjoy Acadia National Park. There are some many things to do there, but I highly recommend you rent bikes to bike on the carriage trails and eat lobster everywhere you find it. The Beehive hike can be a little difficult for older family members, but the view from the top is amazing. Also, if you’re staying a rental home in Maine, make sure you find a place where you can purchase seafood or lobster directly from the boats. There are numerous options to do this all along the coast of Maine. You can ask the seller to steam the lobster for you and for $5.99 or $6.99 a pound, you can eat lobster as much as you’d like.
Some Boston Favorites
- Favorite bakery: Japonaise Bakery & Cafe
- Favorite Chinese bakery: 101 Bakery Shop
- Favorite Chinese restaurant: Jade Garden
- Favorite Italian food: Mamma Maria
- Favorite seafood: Island Creek Oyster Bar
- Favorite summer destination: Rockport for “fantastic weekend fun”
- Favorite sushi: Sakanaya
Some Common Questions
- Question: Will people be patient with me if my English isn’t very good?
- Answer: Yes, everyone in New England is typically very friendly and willing to help you.
- Question: Where should I stay?
- Answer: It depends on how much you want to spend and how adventurous you are. I would recommend you book properties using VRBO or Airbnb. Along the way, you can also stay in hotels if you’re seeking more luxury or a location in the very middle of a city. Typically, it’s very easy to make your reservation online wherever you stay.
- Question: What are some truly “New England” things I need to do while in New England?
- Answer: So, New England people do love seafood and they also eat a lot of ice cream in the summer. Ice cream in New England is a treat in the summer and it’s also just fun to be around so many other people having fun. You should also try to get tickets to a Boston Red Sox game if you can since baseball is such an American game and experiencing it as Fenway Park watching the Red Sox (especially during a warm summer night) is something special. If you love classical music, try to get tickets to a music performance at the Isabella Stewart Gardiner Museum or tickets to a Broadway performance. Definitely spend some time at the beach. New England people love the coast and boats. You can buy a ticket to ride on a sailboat or take a ferry out of Portland, Maine to one of the nearby islands in Casco Bay.
- Question: Will everyone take a credit card?
- Answer: Almost everyone will accept a credit card. A few restaurants will require you pay in cash only; however, this is rare.
Flight Tips from China to Boston (from Expedia)
- Question : How much is a plane ticket to Boston (BOS) from Beijing (PEK)?
Answer : Cost can range anywhere from $500 to $4,907, prices for PEK to BOS do change a lot more than the majority of routes from China. Prices are usually lower the further out you book.
- Question : Which airline has the least delays from Beijing to Boston?
Answer : Hainan Airlines will have you to BOS on schedule 71% of the time. Don’t spend more time waiting in an airport than you have to and stick with Hainan Airlines on this route. If they are delayed for some reason though, the average delay is 61 minutes.
- Question : What is the cheapest day to fly?
Answer : The cheapest day to fly from Beijing to Boston is on Wednesday. If you want to save a bit of money on your next trip look for flights on that day.
- Question : Can I change the date of my flight?
Answer : You sure can switch your departure date and you may save money by doing it. The cheapest day to fly in October is Wednesday. You may be thinking you’re missing out leaving a day early, but we think that you are just adding saving for your next getaway. A penny saved is a vacation earned.
- Question : What is the cheapest airline flying from Beijing to Boston?
Answer : United Airlines is offering the best deal at $500. Better look quickly because prices range all the way up to $4,907 over the next three months.
- Question : What is the cheapest day to fly to Boston?
Answer : As of Sep 24th, the cheapest day to fly from Beijing to Boston is Oct 24th. Tickets are currently $500, which is 58% below the average price for this route.
- Question : How long is the flight from PEK to BOS?
Answer : This direct flight will whisk you away to your destination in 13 hours and 15 minutes via Hainan Airlines. If you catch the 1:55 PM CST departure, you’ll arrive at 2:10 PM EDT. Allowing you plenty of time to grab a quick bite. Don’t forget the 13-hour time change. So, synchronize your watches.
Recent Articles about Chinese Tourists Coming to New England